[avahi] Avahi Signalling that it is going offline??

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Mon Jan 30 11:39:27 PST 2012

Hello

   I have a few devices that have a .service file in
/etc/avahi/services. It works well I can see the service etc. However my
administration app which is using avahi to detect machines coming
online/offline in a link-local setup never knows when they disappear
because they are always there. The devices offering the service are
portable so go to sleep and move around on the network. So I'm wondering
if there is a way the avahi-daemon can signal that the service/device is
going offline so I get the notifications? When I first started and had
an actual app listening it was just somewhat built in when you
unregistered, however now it never does that.

I'm basically using the service to help detect when the devices are
online since the service I want to use is always there when the devices
are available. If that makes any sense.

Thoughts?
--
Nathanael d. Noblet