[avahi] JmDNS + Avahi

Alin Rus netblock at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 06:47:44 PDT 2012

Hello,

I'm developing an Android application which relies on JmDNS and a
desktop application which makes use of Avahi.

The problem is that while JmDNS resolves services published by Avahi,
Avahi fails to resolve services published by JmDNS.

This is what I get in /var/log/daemon

avahi-daemon[2806]: server.c: Packet too short or invalid while
reading response record. (Maybe a UTF-8 problem?)

Any reason why that might happen?

This is what I use to create the service on the Android application [1] .

serviceInfo = ServiceInfo.create("_androidtest._udp.local.",
"Android_app", 1337, "Test service");

[1] http://jmdns.sourceforge.net/apidocs/javax/jmdns/ServiceInfo.html

Regards,

--