[avahi] avahi-daemon memory leak

Howard Lum (holum) holum at cisco.com
Mon Nov 26 13:21:34 PST 2012

We are seeing a memory leak of about 880 kB per day in avahi-daemon 0.6.24. We upgraded to 0.6.31 and the leak seems to have gone down to about 500 kB per day. Has anyone seen this before?

Here are some additional details about our setup.

1.       We are running on an embedded system without X11.

2.       We have an instance of dbus-daemon running with the --system option and another one running with the --session option.

3.       We are using the allow-interfaces configuration option to limit traffic to a VLAN that we have created. IP addresses on the VLAN are obtained using avahi-autoipd.

4.       Running with the --debug option, we see the following messages periodically.
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetAPIVersion
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=GetState
dbus-protocol.c: interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server, path=/, member=ServiceBrowserNew
dbus-protocol.c: client :1.52584 vanished.

Howard Lum
Cisco