[avahi] I would like to report a bug in Avahi

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 11:33:14 PDT 2012

[ Resending to the mailing list ]

Hi,

I am Till Kamppeter, leader of OpenPrinting (www.openprinting.org) and
also responsible for the printing subsystem in Ubuntu.

The printing system CUPS uses Avahi to broadcast information about
shared printers using the Bonjour protocol. It uses this method
exclusively from version 1.6.x on. This makes avahi-daemon an essential
part for printing in Linux.

I have reported the following bug to Ubuntu:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avahi/+bug/1059286
   avahi-daemon takes 100% CPU right after boot and at every restart of
   CUPS

Due to lack of expertise at Ubuntu/Canonical I got no answer of a Ubuntu
developer working on this bug.

I wanted to report it on your Trac system on www.avahi.org, but the
sirte is broken. Instead of the main navigation bar only an error
message "Error: Failed to load processor TracNav, No macro or processor
named 'TracNav' found" appears (with both Firefox and Chromium on Ubuntu
12.10). There is also not the "Register" button at the upper right, as
told in the Wiki page

http://www.avahi.org/wiki/AvahiCommunity

So I could not register and report the bug. Can you fix the site or
register me manually?

Or is there somewhere a new site?

Or can you have a look at the Ubuntu bug report and work with me on a
solution communication via the Ubuntu bug report?

The problem is that when one has a CUPS server with many queues (I have
18) the the registering of the printers at Avahi causes the Avahi daemon
to fall into an infinite loop. It is really an infinite loop, it is not
flooded by CUPS nore by other processes. I can stop CUPS and stop the
network and avahi-daemon stays in the infinite loop until getting killed.

    Till