[avahi] Why would I got a timeout_reached error when trying to resolve service data for a service that avahi has in it's cache?

Glenn Lagasse glagasse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 13:48:51 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm running RHEL 6.4 with Avahi 0.6.25.12.el6.  I have an application which
listens for a specific service type which other nodes are publishing.
Sometimes (but by no means always) my application gets told about a service
but when I resolve that service my resolve callback is called with the
resolver_failure and when I check the client it says timeout reached.
What's puzzling about this is when I get this error if I dump Avahi's cache
(killall -SIGUSR1 avahi-daemon) the data for the service is in Avahi's
cache so I'm puzzled as to why I couldn't resolve.  Does anyone have any
clues where to begin?  The failure to resolve is extremely intermittant.
Restarting Avahi always clears it up.

Thanks for any input you may have.

--
Glenn