[avahi] libavahi-client: How to handle avahi-daemon restarts?

"Linus Lüssing" linus.luessing at web.de
Tue Jan 29 11:10:53 PST 2013

Hi,

I recently noticed that libpurple/pidgin, which uses libavahi-client, silently stops announcing its Bonjour Chat service after restarting the avahi-daemon and that I have to automatically reconnect the according Bonjour account [1].

I'm currently wondering whether libavahi is supposed to handle such avahi-daemon restarts automatically, meaning that this is a bug in libavahi, or whether the application has to take care of that (for instance via a client callback for avahi_client_new()?), meaning this is a bug in libpurple.

If the latter, some links to example code / applications for handling such restarts would be appreciated. avahi-0.6.31/example/client-publish-service.c unfortunately does not seem to be able to handle such restarts and simply exits on avahi-daemon restarts.

Cheers, Linus

[1]: https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/15483