[avahi] Avahi and bonjour with ipv6 only is failing

E-J van der Linden EJvanderLinden at hetnet.nl
Sun Sep 1 05:24:54 PDT 2013

Hi,

I have an embedded Linux device that is running on ipv6 only (not ipv4). It uses avahi to publish a webserver service.

When the device is connected to a Mac OSX system, I can see the ipv6 address and the TXT records of the services that the ipv6 device publishes.

A windows 7 system with ipv6 enabled, with the latest bonjour sdk installed does not see the ipv6 device nor the published services.
If I run my Linux device on IPv4, the PC with bonjour can see the ipv4 devices and published services on the network.

The IPv6 device can be pinged from the Windows 7 PC and with wireshark I see the publication messages arriving on the PC.

Anybody seen this too? Have any solution direction for me?

Thanks,

E-J