[avahi] avahi-browse only shows services on local machine

John Frankish j-frankish at slb.com
Fri Jan 10 01:07:50 PST 2014

The connection above is machine -> wireless repeater -> wap -> router

If I make a wired connection from the machine directly to the router then I get the expected result from avahi-browse.

Given that iPhones and windows machines can see mdns services via the wireless repeater, it cannot be blocking mdns, so what is stopping avahi from working as expected when connected to the wireless repeater?

Note that the underlying reason I need this to work is so the machine can print as a cups-1.6 client (the iPhones and windows machines can print without problems)

$ avahi-browse -at
+   eth0 IPv4 boxdell [64:27:37:22:ab:51]                   _workstation._tcp    local
+   eth0 IPv4 AirPrint HPOfficeJetG85 @ macminitc           _ipp._tcp            local
+   eth0 IPv4 HP OfficeJet G85 @ macminitc                  _printer._tcp        local
+   eth0 IPv4 HP OfficeJet G85 @ macminitc                  _ipps._tcp           local
+   eth0 IPv4 HP OfficeJet G85 @ macminitc                  _ipp._tcp            local