[avahi] compatibility with official airplay release from apple

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 10:14:14 PST 2014

Hi.

Le vendredi 17 janvier 2014, John Stirling <ap.john.stirling at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> I'm attempting to use avahi (0.6.31) with the latest airplay source code
> release from apple (it requires a bonjour port). Is anyone else
> attempting the same thing ?

Which airplay source code release from Apple? Have I missed something and
Apple has opened its implementation?
It would be very surprising considering they are now enforcing their
FairPlay encryption scheme which hasn't been cracked yet.

> There are some issues -
>
> avahi dns_sd.h is missing a few defines needed by airplay (patch attached)
> DNSServiceGetAddrInfo doesn't exist in avahi and is called from airplay
>
> avahi HEAD doesn't seem to implement this function either and there
> doesn't seem to have been much activity since the 0.6.31 release
>
> Has avahi been used as the bonjour part of an airplay port before ? Any
> advice much appreciated.

Yes, if you consider reverse engineered version of it.

Look at shairport (audio only) library version. Available on most Linux
distribution