[avahi] publishing multiple instances of same service

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Fri Jun 13 10:41:40 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'd like use avahi to publish multiple instances of the same service,
with the only difference being the port number.  The host platform for
the service and avahi is OpenWRT running on MIPS.  The service that I
want to publish is ser2net, a serial port to network proxy
(http://ser2net.sourceforge.net/).  ser2net presents each configured
serial port as a telnet port.  I'd like to publish each of these telnet
ports.  Because each serial port is a USB-to-serial converter, I'm using
a hotplug script to dynamically configure the serial ports as they come
and go.

Using an avahi service file, is it possible to publish multiple
instances of the same service in a single file?  For example, say I have
ttyUSB0 on telnet port 2000, and ttyUSB1 on telnet port 2001, can this
be published in a single avahi service file?  My experiments with avahi
suggest that this is not possible.

Regarding the service files, is it possible to change the location of
the service files without rebuilding the avahi daemon?  Because /etc is
on a flash filesystem, I'm currently using symbolic links to point to
service files in /tmp.  If I could point to a different directory for
the service files, I wouldn't need the symbolic links.  I've browsed the
daemon code at ohloh.net, but I don't see where AVAHI_SERVICE_DIR is
defined.

thanks,
galen