[avahi] machine1 can connect to machine2 but not vice versa

carsrcoffins23 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 9 06:35:15 PDT 2014

I am having the strangest problem with a new computer I have, a Lenovo
G700. I have it set up pretty much identical to several computers I have on
my home network, running Lubuntu 13.10. In fact, they are all essentially
identical in their /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf
(originally this wasn't true but it had no affect changing), and the
entirety of /etc/avahi. They can avahi-browse and see one another and
avahi-resolve -n properly resolves on both sides. Not surprisingly, the old
machines have no problem ssh'ing to the new machine's .local address but
it's hostname not found from the new machine to any other machine. I've
restarted my router to clear any caching. I'm at a loss. avahi-daemon
0.6.31-2ubuntu4.1 btw.

Thanks in advance. I love my avahi and I can't live without it! ;)