[avahi] Forward mDNS records to unicast DNS

Tom Pusateri pusateri at bangj.com
Fri Apr 24 20:22:58 PDT 2015

Just joined this list and saw this note in the archive:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I've been using Avahi for a while and find it useful. I have a rather
>unusual use case. I understand that Avahi can forward unicast DNS
>records to mDNS, but I would like to do the reverse (forward mDNS
>records to unicast.) Right now I just have a small DNS server that I
>wrote myself that gets its data from Avahi, but is there a better way?
>
>Kyle

Kyle,
	This is not such an unusual use case. The IETF has been working on a protocol that proxies between multicast DNS and unicast DNS. This is called a DNS Hybrid Proxy.

You can read about it here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid-00

There’s a discussion about it on the DNS-SD mailing list: