[avahi] What is the Format of data transmitted via Avahi - Is this possible

Rajesh Khan rajeshkhan808 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 21:43:34 PST 2015

Hello all , I have been stuck on this issue for a while and wanted to know
what my options are.
I currently have an embedded device running embedded linux.
Now I would like to advertise that device as a printer via Avahi (the
device itself is not a printer). My current embedded linux flavour does not
have CUPS installed in it and I would like to avoid it if possible.I
recently found out that I could advertise my device using avahi-publish(1)
<http://avahi.org/download/avahi-publish.1.xml>.  I have not tested this
yet.Now suppose this works.
My question is what kind of data will my device receive if a user selects
this newly advertised printer and issues a print command  from a text
editor (say using textmate).I would like to manipulate that data on my
device.Will my device need to be listening on a certain socket/port ? How
will I receive that data ? What will be the format of that data ? Any
suggestions or hints on this would be more than appreciated.