[avahi] What is the Format of data transmitted via Avahi - Is this possible

Rajesh Khan rajeshkhan808 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 11:03:20 PST 2015

Thanks a lot Martin , that information was very helpful. I am currently
reading on IPP however just for the sake of it to see if my printer called
"SomePrinter" is being broadcasted by Avahi I did the following

I created the following .service file and placed it in the services folder

<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?>

<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">

<service-group>

  <name replace-wildcards="yes">SomePrinter %h</name>

  <service>

    <type>_ipp._tcp</type>

    <port>631</port>

  </service>

</service-group>

I then restarted avahi with the expectation of seeing SomePrinter showing
up via Bonjour. Unfortunately that did not happen. Any suggestions on what
I might be missing ?