[avahi] Avahi daemon dies on certain hostnames

Allen Webb allenwebbtx at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 23:42:18 UTC 2016

I know it is probably bad form to resurrect threads as old as 10 years,
but I ran into problems because of this bug and it doesn't appear to
have ever been resolved completely:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/avahi/2006-April/000604.html

I am trying to run:
avahi-browse -p -r -all

but it dies with the error:
Client failure, exiting: Daemon connection failed

 From looking at the investigation work in the thread the problem
appears to be invalid strings being reported by devices over mDNS. I was
hoping to use avahi to help with some of my work. I have looked into
whether or not dbus could be configured to allow the invalid strings,
but I didn't find anything I could use, so it looks like my next best
option would be to modify avahi to meet my needs.

If I do address the host name issue, how would I go about submitting a
patch, so my efforts can be a benefit to the community?

Allen