[avahi] Identify failures when registering a service in Vala

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Sat May 20 05:34:04 UTC 2017

Visarion-Mingopol,

I admit I'm not really up to date on Vala, do you have an example of
your code I can look at?

Looking briefly here:
https://github.com/GNOME/vala/blob/master/vapi/avahi-gobject.vapi
https://github.com/GNOME/vala/blob/master/vapi/avahi-client.vapi

Assuming you are using the gobject API it does seem to have errors and
the avahi-gobject code itself converts these errnos into a GError with
all the various function calls - which is likely where you should access
it from.

My best guess, perhaps, is that you need to react to state_changed as
most errors you're likely to hit (i.e. conflict when publishing) won't
return immediately but instead later fire a state_changed event about
the collision.  Is it in that handler that you can't access the error?

Regards,
Trent