[avahi] How to avoid consolidation of query responses by Avahi

Gaurav Halwasia (ghalwasi) ghalwasi at cisco.com
Mon Sep 11 01:51:50 UTC 2017

Hi Team,

In my Ubuntu, I have some around 10 service instances of 10 “different” services types running using “avahi-publish” command for each service (of different type).

                avahi-publish -s SVC1 _aaa._tcp 1 SVC1 &
                avahi-publish -s SVC2 _bbb._tcp 1 SVC2 &
                -
                -
                avahi-publish -s SVC10 _jjj._tcp 1 SVC10 &

Now when I send “10” different queries (though pretty much at the same time) to this Ubuntu from a different connected Ubuntu machine, I see that sometimes (or rather most of the times), I see avahi sending a consolidated query response (i.e PTR/SRV/TXT getting consolidated within a single mDNS message)

Irrespective of going into the details of whether it is allowed from the protocol standpoint, my question is that is there any way in which I can avoid this consolidation by avahi and somehow force/override avahi to respond to the incoming queries individually. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Gaurav