[avahi] arguments to dbus_connection_close() were incorrect

Denis Kharlamov dkharlamov at aversan.com
Wed Sep 27 16:54:27 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have a perfectly working code of Avahi client-publish and client-browse, that are identical to those posted at https://www.avahi.org/doxygen/html/client-publish-service_8c-example.html

However, I wanted to try and change my client-publish-service code to use AvahiThreadedPoll rather than AvahiSimplePoll. An easy change, but unfortunately ever since I've done that, whenever I close the application, I get the following error message:

process 4472: arguments to dbus_connection_close() were incorrect, assertion "connection->generation == _dbus_current_generation" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 2890.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
Shutdown requested.  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace

So just to re-iterate - my code is pretty much identical to that in the example, the only difference being AvahiSimplePoll being substituted for AvahiThreadedPoll. The errors happen when I stop my program, which leads me to believe that it is something in the destructor that's causing it. Likely avahi_threaded_poll_free() ?

Does anyone know what the error means/potential solutions to getting rid of it? Am I conceptually wrong for using ThreadedPoll over SimplePoll?

P.S. Tested on CentOS 7.4 with Avahi 0.6.32 and 0.7

Thank you