[avahi] Ubuntu 18 on EC2, Avahi doesn't work

Tom Pusateri pusateri at bangj.com
Thu Aug 2 17:36:10 UTC 2018

> On Aug 2, 2018, at 3:47 AM, Andrew Stuart <andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au> wrote:
>
> OK it appears that Amazon EC2 does not support multicast which I presume is a requirement for avavhi to work?
>
> Thus I’m guessing there’s no way it could work, and I must have been mistaken about it wrking on Ubuntu 14.
>
> Sorry for the mailing list noise.
>
> thanks
>
> Andrew

There are other cloud providers such as Rackspace (no affiliation) that do support multicast:

https://community.rackspace.com/products/f/public-cloud-forum/3946/multicast-support-in-cloud-server---ubuntu-apache-tomcat <https://community.rackspace.com/products/f/public-cloud-forum/3946/multicast-support-in-cloud-server---ubuntu-apache-tomcat>

That doesn’t help if you don’t want to migrate to a new provider but maybe you have access to other providers that do support multicast.

Tom