[avahi] Reg: Avahi publishing SRV records

Sharath Naeni cs09b021 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 22:45:02 UTC 2019

Hello All,

We have a local network of 50 nodes which are publishing on avahi(with no
flags, AVAHI_IF_UNSPEC, AVAHI_PROTO_UNSPEC). We have noticed that
avahi-daemon is using (>100%) CPU and goes into bad state. (avahi-browse
complains "Daemon connection timedout")

So we did a tcpdump of packets received by a node and observed that each
node in addition to publishing PTR record with it's own service, also
publishing SRV record with details of other 49 nodes. This increased the
avahi traffic in the network and we think that heavy traffic is causing
avahi-daemon to go into bad state.

We would like to understand why:
1. Avahi-daemon is publishing SRV records and is there any way to disable
this functionality.
2. From source code, we noticed that avahi-daemon does process SRV records
and hence too many SRV records in the network is causing avahi-daemon hung.
Is our hypothesis correct?

Version (avahi-daemon 0.6.31)
publish-aaaa-on-ipv4=no
publish-a-on-ipv6=no
[reflector]
enable-reflector=no
reflect-ipv=no

Thanks in advance. Any insights would be great help to us.

Regards.