[avahi] Resolve local hosts using subdomains only

Jente Hidskes hjdskes at gmail.com
Sat May 14 12:26:35 UTC 2022

Hey all,

I am stuck with a problem that I do not know how to resolve. When I
try to find information online I find much conflicting information
that make it hard to find the forest through the trees, so I ask here.

I have a local network with three separate networks; one for trusted
devices, one for IoT and one for my work devices. Each network has its
own "domain name", so I have home.local, iot.local and work.local.

What I want is to be able to refer to hosts on these networks by their
subdomains only, so for example I want to be able to browse or ssh to
host1.home.local, or shelly.iot.local but _not_ host1.local or
shelly.local. It is here that I get stuck: Avahi advertises both. Is
there a way to allow the former but disallow the latter? My daemon
configuration can be found here[1].

Kind regards,

Jente

[1]: https://gist.github.com/Hjdskes/80d7b0d39a5155ed147d28168bddf331