[avahi] Commit and issue editing rights to Avahi repositories

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 00:41:03 UTC 2022

Hello Trent, Hi Adrian.

I understand you are busy elsewhere and your focus is not on Avahi
project. But there have been multiple people willing to help on issue
#388 [1], without any concrete reply. I would like to ask you here,
whether you would allow any other contributors a commit access to the
repository. If you have some conditions which a potential co-maintainer
has to meet, please say them aloud.

You said your are open to maintainers joining on, but haven't said
nothing about your conditions.

Both Debian and Fedora has not a short list of downstream patches
applied on top of the last Avahi release. Many issues are open and not
being worked on, pull requests are not commented on in months. I think
the offer of *Neustradamus* to move to an organization is reasonable.
Not sure if there is another way to add commit rights to your personal
repository.

We can fork your project and start merging those requests manually. But
it would be much easier if you could transfer existing issues and pull
requests to a common organization and give permissions. If you want to
be organization owner, fine, just say it. Certainly you should be
administrator there, your expertise is vital. It seems a personal
repository still allows some ways to collaborate [2] with more people.

I think now we are missing mainly two things:

- a person with time to read issues and pull requests and categorize
them. Labels are a good thing and it would be nice to prioritize bugs,
grouping important and unimportant.
- a person with the language understanding and commit access able to merge

I messaged Adrian some time ago. He mentioned you talked, but no change
is visible to us. Still not a single comment, commit or a label change.
I have talked with Till Kamppeter on Ubuntu Summit in Prague, he said
you are just too busy and likely it would not change anytime soon.

Would you be able to give some access to other collaborators before the
end of this year? I am willing to maintain a fork and invite more people
after the next year unless something changes. I think the existing code
is fixable, it just needs more eyes and hands. If you have any vision
how to allow that, please share it.

Kind Regards,
Petr

[1] https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/388