[Beignet] few questions on Beignet-OpenCL-ICD v1.2.0 regarding X11 and kernel patches

Seva Gluschenko gvs at webkontrol.ru
Wed Sep 21 15:01:18 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm a newbie to the whole OpenCL thing, so please excuse me if I'm asking questions that look obvious to someone. I'm trying to use the built-in GPU of Intel Core i7-6700 (Skylake), and it looks like I can't get rid of the X11 dependency which is somewhat disgusting when trying to get it into operation on a remote server. After soome googling I found the Beignet project, downloaded the 1.2.0 version source code and compiled it without X11 (or at least cmake told me that it couldn't find Xlib). Still I see some presence of the X11 in the library, as follows:

# strings /usr/local/lib/beignet/libcl.so | grep -i x11
x11_display

Does it mean that the libcl was in fact built with X, even though ldd shows no linked libraries? The reason I'm asking is that the clinfo throws me an exception like this:

# ./clinfo
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'OCLRT::xcb_error'
  what():  XCB ERROR: X session is not running!
Aborted

And one more question, if you don't mind. The Intel OpenCL driver is supplied with kernel patches, and the documentation states that only patched kernel would allow it to run on GPU. Is this patch vital for Beignet operations as well?

Thank you very much in advance.

--
Best Regards,

Seva Gluschenko