[Cairo] compiling on Slackware 9.0

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Wed Aug 6 08:39:13 PDT 2003

On Aug 6, Roman Bednarek wrote:
 >   Thanks for your help everything is compiling fine now.

That's good to hear.

 > But every test program from xrtest crashes as an example xrtest, stack
 > under gdb:
 > #0  *INT_IcComposite (op=0 '\0', iSrc=0x0, iMask=0x80510e8, iDst=0x0,
 >     xSrc=1073784128, ySrc=-1073744024, xMask=0, yMask=0, xDst=134541232,
 >     yDst=0, width=0, height=134541232) at ic.c:882

This symptom looks typical of what happens right now when your X
server doesn't support the Render extension.

Graydon Hoare contributed a patch that properly enables client-side
rendering when Render is not available:

http://cairographics.org/pipermail/cairo/2003-July/000278.html

Give that a try and see if the crash doesn't go away.

If it does work, it will likely be exceptionally slow. The emulation
code is really braindead right now, (my fault not Graydon's), and does
two complete surface copies for every rendering operation (ouch).

I've got a modified version of Graydon's patch incorporated in my
tree now. I'm working on a more efficient version and will commit it
when it's ready.

In the meantime, upgrading your X server (if that's feasible) to a
version (say XFree86 4.3.0) supporting the latest version of the
Render extension would also speed things up.