[Fontconfig] Re: [Cairo] Text API proposal

Thorsten Behrens thorsten.behrens at sun.com
Tue Aug 12 01:45:13 PDT 2003

Yesterday, Keith wrote:

> Hmm.  We could specify a metafile format and require a post-processing
> stage to convert that for the printer.  In the best of all possible
> worlds, that format could be PDF...

That's actually what OOo is doing, and I find that solution kinda elegant.
Application lockup is rather short, after printout is spooled, and you pay
only for the bitmap memory you really need. Another one on the plus side:
bitmap resolution can be chosen independently for every sub-area.

Best regards,

--

Thorsten

"Historically speaking, the presence of wheels in Unix has never precluded
their reinvention." [Larry Wall]