[Cairo] Exposing cairo_path_t publicly?

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Wed Dec 3 07:10:04 PST 2003

On Nov 29, Duncan Mak wrote:
 > Do you think it is adequate to expose the private cairo_path_t API and
 > use it to implement the GDI+ GraphicsPath? Or do you think a fresh
 > implementation (not related to cairo_path_t) is needed?

I think that you'll want your own implementation.

I did expose cairo_path_t at one point a few months ago. That lasted
less than a day. Keith's cool reception of this new feature convinced
me to remove it:

http://cairographics.org/pipermail/cairo/2003-September/000540.html

And even then, I didn't feel comfortable exposing any way to get at
the path data, so it wouldn't have helped you anyway.

Basically, cairo should be seen as just an immediate mode drawing
library. Data storage for paths, objects, and their attributes should
live in a layer above cairo.