[Cairo] Re: [xsvg] cairo_text_extents ?

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Tue Dec 16 13:53:51 PST 2003

On Dec 16, Keith Packard wrote:
 > 'width' is a very confusing term; it often is taken to mean 'x_advance',

Granted. Do you have any recommendation for a less confusing set of
names?

One other potential confusion in the current API is which corner does
x_bearing/y_bearing point to, lower-left or upper-left? The confusion
here is that the default cairo user-space and the default font space
have reversed directions for the Y axis.

The only thing I can imagine is x/y_min/max, which I didn't love since
it seems a bit awkward when used with a width/height based API like
cairo_rectangle. Though the names are awfully short which can be
nice...