[Xr] Xr naming (was: Anybody there?)

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Thu Jul 3 18:15:23 PDT 2003

On Jul 3, Bill Spitzak wrote:
 > I think the "Xr" name is very good and everybody is calling it that already.
 > Tell the Windows people it is "like Direct-X for non-games, that is why it is
 > called xr".

The solution we came up with for the OLS paper, (for which we
submitted a title long before Xr could even draw to in-memory images),
was to define Xr as "Cross-device Rendering".

Would it help to keep the same pronunciation, but de-emphasize the X,
(eg. name it xr or XR)? I'm also not a big fan of studly caps, but
went with it originally to match the X libraries. How about:

	xr_save (xrs);
	xr_move_to (xrs, x, y);
	xr_curve_to (xrs, x1, y1, x2, y2, x3, y3);
	xr_stroke (xrs);
	xr_restore (xrs);