[Cairo] Cairo Debian Packages

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Nov 5 03:54:31 PST 2003

James's post reminded me to announce this.

A few weekends ago in a fit of enthusiasm, I made debian packages
(debs) of the Cairo sources from CVS in order to get it building for
Mono (http://www.go-mono.com/) which is now using Cairo as the
graphics backend, post the 0.28 release.

The debs for the cairo snapshots at http://cairographics.org/snapshots/
are presently hosted at
   http://freedesktop.org/~cairo/debian/

before they move to the cairographics.org at some point, after some
server reorganising - says Carl.

So if you can add this area to your Debian /etc/apt.sources.list with

deb http://freedesktop.org/~cairo/debian/ ./

(and optionally
deb-src http://freedesktop.org/~cairo/debian/ ./
)

Then can install the Cairo libraries without dependency hell if you
are using Debian sid/unstable on x86 with:
  apt-get update
  apt-get install libcairo1-dev
or
  apt-get install xsvg
for the demo SVG app.

For those familiar with Debian, the packages are made using CDBS and
are lintian clean(*) and tested building in a sid pbuilder chroot()
area.  Most of the work was with on the dependencies and pbuilder.
These are probably too early to go into Debian given the changing API
and non-changing soname - seems to me that would break the library
packaging policy. (*)not xsvg, it has no manual page, I'm not worrying.

If you are not familiar, that means the dependencies should be right
and minimal.  Carl's still adjusting them since we noticed there were
some extra ones with (lib)cairo that configure checks but aren't
used.

Parenthetically, Mono is now building for me from CVS with a one
line change but I haven't had time to do a lot of testing on it.

Dave