[Cairo] Re: [xsvg] cairo_text_extents ?

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Wed Nov 26 07:11:45 PST 2003

Christof Petig wrote:

> IIRC the tuple  x,y,w,h,advancex,advancey clearly covers all
> information needed for a glyph (advancex/advancey might depend on the
> next character  (kerning)).
>
> x/y should equal bearingX/Y (x and y might be negative)

Right, they might be non-zero (positive or negative) w.r.t the x,y of
the origin.   So, IMHO, naming the coordinates
for the lower-left of the bounding box "x" and "y" can lead to confusion.

Another issue to be considered is that the text string can be rotated.
I think that the terms "left-side-bearing" and "right-side-bearing" can
be more clearly
understood to be parallel to the baseline of the text, and similarly
"ascent" and "descent"
as perpendicular to the baseline.

I can see shortening "left-side-bearing" and "right-side-bearing"  to
"left-bearing" and "right-bearing" if that would help?

Basically we're talking about the same four numbers.  All we're
discussing is the names.

John