[cairo] Cairo gears performance benchmarks

Soorya Kuloor sooryak at otii.com
Mon Apr 19 12:38:27 PDT 2004

Hi,

I compiled the latest cairo CVS. I then ran the cairogears program
from David's download site (http://www.cs.umu.se/~c99drn/). Here are
some results I thought people would be interested in.

Hardware:
---------
AMD Athlon64 3200
1.5GB RAM
Graphics Chipset: ATI R350 NH (R9800)

Software:
---------
Fedora Core 1 (32 bit version)
XFree: ATI's proprietary drivers downloaded from their website
Display resolution: 1280x1024

The numbers below are in frames per second as reported by the
test. For full-screen numbers I just maximized the demo window.

Test   backend       normal-size    full-screen
----   -------       -----------    -----------

TRAP   image           9.2             2.2
       xrender        11.8             2.9
       glx           150.2           135.2

GRAD   image           8.4             2.0
       xrender         9.2             2.4
       glx           125.4           103.0

COMP   image           5.0             1.1
       xrender         6.4             1.4
       glx          2087.0           686.8

TEXT   image          18.4             1.4
       xrender        22.6             1.9
       glx            61.8            49.4

SHADOW image           2.1             0.35
       xrender         2.62            0.5
       glx           133.0           130.0

The performance of the OpenGL back-end is really impressive. Obviously,
the text caching problem that David mentioned slows down the OpenGL
back-end considerably.

Regards,
-- Soorya

--