[cairo] Re: [Mesa3d-dev] OpenGL and Cairo

David Reveman c99drn at cs.umu.se
Wed Apr 21 07:54:31 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 08:36 -0700, Jon Smirl wrote:

> --- Carl Worth <cworth at east.isi.edu> wrote:
> > This also sounds quite reasonable to me. I am not aware of anything in
> > the cairo API that requires premature rasterization. But I would
> > obviously like to hear about it if someone sees something.
>
> I'm reading through the Glitz paper right now and they already have described
> three different places where the Cairo architecture is forcing intermediate
> display buffers into the OpenGL implementation.

Glitz uses intermediate buffers if graphics hardware is not new enough.
There are some rare occasions where glitz needs to use intermediate
buffers even with the latest hardware but they are almost never exposed
by cairo. It's not impossible to fix so that glitz never need to use
intermediate buffers. An intermediate buffer for glitz, means a pbuffer
and the performance penalty of using such intermediate pbuffer is not
that devastating and we've therefore focused on other stuff than getting
this fixed.

- David

--
David Reveman <c99drn at cs.umu.se>