[cairo] Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Points in Cairo Glitz paper

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Apr 21 20:44:14 PDT 2004

Around 19 o'clock on Apr 21, Jon Smirl wrote:

> The image compositing model is a very core part of render. If it isn't easy to
> accelerate on common hardware then we're going to have performance trouble.  Do
> low end cards have four texture units?

The full image compositing operator is kinda like the GL pipeline -- lots
of options with some combinations are much more common than others.
Identifying which combinations are directly supported by the hardware and
which require intermediate buffers is an ideal place for Glitz to help out
to provide a uniform Render-like interface for both the cairo library and
the X server itself.

I suspect GL will nicely accelerate solid filled trapezoids...

-keith