[cairo] Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Points in Cairo Glitz paper

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 14:16:35 PDT 2004

--- Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> I guess I don't understand what parts of cairo aren't "easily accelerated".
> I thought that Glitz demonstrated that this isn't true on modern hardware,
> and that modest changes in the Glitz library, or perhaps the cairo
> interface would resolve some performance issues on other hardware as well.

Glitz is relying heavily on two features not universally found in OpenGL
implementations, pbuffers and shader programs.  Only the latest, high end cards
have decent shader hardware.

> It's possible that some parts of this standard abstraction will prove a
> difficult match with 3D hardware.  To a great extent, that's "too bad". We
> can't exactly rewrite the SVG and PDF specifications to match our desires.

But where do you want to put the computational burden of the mapping? On
displays where the image is generated as often as 70 times a second (140 times
on dual head cards) or on the printing subsystem? Wouldn't it be more efficient
to match the programing model to the display hardware and then spend the
computational cycles needed to adjust it for the printer one?

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com