[cairo] cairo design

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 13:18:17 PDT 2004

Is Cairo completely resolution independent (except for bitmaps)? Can I scale by
arbitrary floating point amounts or are things tied into X screen resolution?

--- Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> Cairo (currently) offers only an immediate mode interface.  It's not that
> I'm opposed to a stored mode interface, but experience has led me to
> first provide an immediate mode interface and try to make that fast enough
> without requiring applications to deal with the mess of a stored mode
> interface.

You do efficiently implement something like a display list that draws a star and
then the star is replicated 5,000 times with different transforms without
generating a gigabyte of net traffic?

You using stored mode as a parallel to display lists as opposed to retained mode
where I can edit the model, right?

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com