[cairo] Cairo metafile

Dirk Schönberger dirk.schoenberger at sz-online.de
Tue Aug 10 13:58:24 PDT 2004

Hi,

I just subscribed to this mailing list.
I played around a little bit with cairo and would like to continue this.

M current interest is yet another retained mode library, this time for C++
and KDE.
The name of the project is KCanvas, and we would like to use also a cairo
backend.
Currently I mostly contribute with strange ideas ;)

One of these ideas is about a metafile system for cairo. Basically you can
"record" the cairo calls and later replay them into
a "real" cairo surface / drawable context. Additionally it would be fine if
you could call things like the bounding box or the hit tests
over this metafile.

Unfortunately I am not really firm in the C style inheritance model as used
eg. in Cairo.

What would be a good way to start such a metafile system? Is something
planned? In work? I cannot currently see any related work
in the cairo CVS, that's why I ask in the mailing list.

The metafile system is planned as purely in-memory, so I don't think
something like a PDF cairo backend would be related to this problem.

Regards
Dirk