[cairo] Cairo license change follow-up

Brian Victor bhv1 at psu.edu
Fri Aug 13 12:23:56 PDT 2004

Carl, I want to thank you for your patience and civility in handling
this change.  I've been watching the discussion closely.  I do have a
question about one of your responses here though:

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 02:45:55PM -0400, Carl Worth wrote:
>Issue: The LGPL doesn't allow static linking with proprietary software,
>       (again, required by some embedded systems).
>
>Response: False. Section 6 is the exception that allow a combined work
>	  to be released "under terms of your choice". With static
>	  linking, 6.b is not available, but only one of 6.a - 6.e needs
>	  to be satisfied.

I read "proprietary" in this case to mean "closed source," though I'm
aware they aren't the same.  Even if I'm mistaken in this, my concern
still holds.

Section 6 of the LGPL reads:

6. As an exception to the Sections above, you may also combine or link a
"work that uses the Library" with the Library to produce a work
containing portions of the Library, and distribute that work under terms
of your choice, provided that the terms permit modification of the work
for the customer's own use and reverse engineering for debugging such
modifications.

My reading of this is that the entire work needs to be user-modifiable,
which would seem to require the source to be open.  Does your reading
differ from mine?  Or is this part of the intent of the change?

--
Brian