[cairo] Sub-pixel rendering and image-in-memory backend

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Dec 2 12:06:01 PST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:52:23 -0800, Ned Konz wrote:
> Ideally, I'd think that I should be able to tell Cairo that the bitmap will be
> used as output to something with a particular layout of sub-pixels, and it
> would use that information to do the right thing for all rendering, not just
> text.

Indeed, we do want to have exactly that functionality. It really
shouldn't be that hard to make it work for all geometry, (and the glitz
stuff already has code for this case).

> But SPR for text alone would be a big improvement.

Indeed. It's just something we haven't gotten around to doing yet.

> Maybe there's a way to do this that I'm missing; if so, I'd sure appreciate a
> pointer.

No, it's just not there yet.  My plan had been to take a look at
existing code in Xft for this. But maybe freetype has made this easier
since the Xft work was done?

Either way, any help in this area would be quite welcome, and would be
kind on the eyes of cairo users everywhere.