[cairo] PDF Backend for cairo

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro gjc at inescporto.pt
Fri Dec 3 08:41:58 PST 2004

Sex, 2004-12-03 às 11:22 -0500, MenTaLguY escreveu:
> On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 21:55, Keith Packard wrote:
>
> > 	1) High level paths, stroked and filled.  Generates compact and
> > 	   comprehensible PDF/PS, but the results with stroked paths are
> > 	   "less desirable".
>
> Generally that is what people will expect from the "export" feature of a
> graphics program like Inkscape.  There, the priority is generally
> preserving the structure of the document rather than rendering
> correctness.

  I think that "export" is the keyword here.  "export" != "print", and
Cairo developers here are assuming PDF output is always for printing.
But sometimes we want PDFs export format, other times we want PDFs for
viewing on screen.  A good example to follow is OpenOffice's PDF export,
which gives 3 different PDF output settings, with several
quality/speed/size tradeoffs.  But, of course, printing is by far the
most important option of all.

  Just my 0.02 €..