[cairo] Building cairo without X dependencies, current state

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Dec 20 11:00:49 PST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:54:46 -0500, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> I'm starting this thread to ask the best instructions on building current
> cairo, libpixman and libsvg releases with no X dependencies (i.e. only the
> PNG and PDF backends).

libpixman and libsvg should have no X dependency ever.

For cairo, I think we have things automatically detecting available
headers pretty well by default. So if the X library headers are not
available, it should compile without them automatically.

If you want to disable backends in spite of the headers being present
you could do things such as:

	./configure --disable-xlib --disable-xcb --disable-glitz

libsvg-cairo should depend only on libsvg and cairo, so it should not
pull in any X dependency on its own.

> FWIW, the version-numbered snapshots ease package updates on Gentoo,
> please continue the frequent incremental releases. Thanks.

I'm glad to know they are helpful. We'll keep churning these out.