[cairo] Gtk+ Cairo-based SVG canvas?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Dec 22 11:51:58 PST 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:27:23 -0800 (PST), Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Is there a Gtk+ (or Gtkmm) canvas widget implementing the Cairo svg
> engine as a drawing surface?

Not any that I'm aware of. A good cairo-based canvas is something that
I would like to see.

But wait, you said SVG. Did you want a full canvas or just a Gtk+
widget that uses cairo to draw an SVG? The latter might be a pretty
simple thing to hook up given that gtk-cairo and libsvg-cairo already
exist.

> If not, are there thoughts on what would be required to canvasize Cairo
> for Gtk?

I would also be interested in seeing suggestions for a retained-mode
interface built on top of cairo, (whether or not specifically for
Gtk+, and not necessarily having anything to do with SVG). A few of
the questions I have:

1) There's a fair amount of software carnage in the land of canvas
   implementations. Does anyone know the "lessons learned" so that we
   can avoid them?

2) How are the cross-toolkit efforts coming along? Is there some
   reasonable subset of the Gtk+/QT event loops, (or an abstraction
   library), that we could target to make a cross-toolkit canvas?

3) Does anyone have expertise in smooth animation to know what that
   part of the API should look like?