[cairo] pycairo segfaults on server with cairo built without x, gtk, pygtk

Steve Chaplin stevech1097 at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 27 16:00:31 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 08:54 -0500, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> However, on the server which has cairo built without X, pycairo segfaults
> on the included examples which should not have any dependency on pygtk.
> The png files are created, but the segfault happens before any data is
> written, and without additional debug information. Running the samples as
> root does not change the behavior.
>
> pycairo works fine with these and other samples on my laptop (cairo built
> with X, with gtk and pygtk, numeric). Thanks for any info on the bug.
>
>     $ python gradient.py
>
>     Segmentation fault
>
>     $ python hering.py
>
>     Segmentation fault
>
>     $ python spiral.py
>
>     Segmentation fault

I can build pycairo with and without X/GTK/PyGTK on my PC and these
examples work for both builds. I do not think that building with or
without X/GTK/PyGTK is the problem.
Try building without X on your laptop (move /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gtk
+-2.0.pc or edit configure.in) - do the examples work on the laptop?

These examples are python versions of demos from the 'cairo-demos'
package. Try installing 'cairo-demo' and running the original C versions
cairo-demo/png/hering.c
cairo-demo/png/spiral.c
cairo-demo/cairo_snippets/cairo_snippets_png  with the gradient.cairo
snippet
Do they work?

Steve