[cairo] "operator" keyword in libcairo

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Dec 28 20:45:08 PST 2004

Around 22 o'clock on Dec 28, Chris wrote:

> Are you successfully using Cairo in Windows?  Most of the Cairo stuff
> seems to compile, but it did require some minor changes.  The fontconfig
> stuff is horrible and took a lot of work to get compiled.  After all
> that I can't get anything to work though.

The cairo architecture is designed with the idea that fontconfig and
FreeType would be replaced in the Windows environment.  A native font
mechanism will provide consistency with font selection used in other
Windows applications.

Not that fontconfig can't be used in a Windows environment, it's just that
it's not the mechanism used by other applications on the system, and hence
provides a 'different' experience for users of cairo-based applications.

I did think that fontconfig had been made to run under Windows; if anyone
has patches or other requests, please bugzilla them in the fontconfig
bugzilla at https://bugs.freedesktop.org

-keith