[cairo] Question about Xft2

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Tue Jan 13 15:57:06 PST 2004

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 03:03 pm, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 20 o'clock on Jan 12, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> > This interface seems to have disappeared in Xft2. However it is apparent
> > that Xft2 still contains the core font selection code, so it would be
> > really nice to access this. Is there any way?
>
> No, Xft2 does not ever use core fonts.  It has support for non-Render
> servers, but does that with images and filled rectangles.

Yep, you are right, I just tried it (ran an Xft2 program remotely from an
Irix box). It works reasonably fast, as far as I can tell, and it even worked
in a pseudo-color visual (though it went to 1-bit non-antialiased fonts).

> You can use Fontconfig to locate the font files and then FreeType to load
> the files.  That's all Xft does, and this would give you complete access
> to the font file including the glyph images through the FreeType APIs.

Okay it looks like I'm going to have to learn how to work those...

--
     /\_       _|_========___         Bill Spitzak