[cairo] PS backend

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Mon May 10 08:11:49 PDT 2004

On Sunday 09 May 2004 05:19 am, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Pango needs individual glyph positioning; the best you can do do is
> notice "hey, glyphs 12-17 are positioned at their natural widths, we can
> skip positioning for them".

This might be difficult with floating point and transformations.

Perhaps there should be a "draw N glyphs" interface. It takes an x,y initial
position, an array of glyph numbers, and a length of that array. The first
glyph is drawn exactly like the current glyph interface, and all subsequent
ones are drawn the dxdy value over from the previous one. I would think Pango
could better identify when it could call this interface.

I would also like to see a "draw this counted length of UTF-8". This would
allow a Pango-like library that works directly with UTF-8.

--
     /\_       _|_========___         Bill Spitzak