[cairo] glitz-glx

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat May 22 16:18:18 PDT 2004

Around 7 o'clock on May 22, Jon Smirl wrote:

> Once keithp gets xserver up on mesa-solo there will be no need to use
> miniglx anymore. You'll have full glx in the xserver. But, keithp is
> planning to use glitz as the guts for his GL based xserver. So I'm trying
> to get glitz up on miniglx right now so that we can run it through it's
> paces and see if anything it needs in mesa-solo is broken.

I've started that work; glitz has some limitations which are an issue at
present -- it appears to work only with 24bit visuals.  I added a 24 bit
visual to my X server (which runs in 16 bit mode) through the compositing
mechanism, so at least things work now.  But, we'll certainly need to
figure out how to support 15 and 16 bit visuals with glitz in the future;
the whole world isn't 24 bits (yet).

I've got an X server stubbed out and will start plugging in the basic GL
initialization before monday.  Then I can add simple rendering code and
start figuring out how to hook glitz into the system.  I should have
answers in a day or so.

-keith