[cairo] shaking fonts

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Sun May 23 06:40:38 PDT 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:52:54 +0200, =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8yvind_Kol=E5s?= wrote:
> contains a video of interactivly scaling the vertical axis of
> the http://cairographics.org/samples/text.html snippet,
> the font seems to pulsate between differnt pt sizes.
>
> I assume this to be a known issue, this video just illustrates
> the artifacts.

Yes, this is the kind of thing you get with font hinting. It looks great
for static rendering, but causes lots of jumpiness when animating.

If you talk to fontconfig/freetype directly with cairo_ft_font_create or
cairo_ft_font_create_for_face then you should have the ability to turn
font hinting off.

There are different theories on whether or not it's a good idea to allow
this kind of control with cairo_select_font. I'm not entirely sure which
camp I fall in, but I'd like to see more serious use of cairo on
multiple platforms before deciding.