[cairo] Static caches and thread-safety

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Nov 12 07:34:13 PST 2004

Around 22 o'clock on Nov 11, Carl Worth wrote:

> I'm half tempted to move the caches down into cairo_t and encourage
> users to clone from a single call to cairo_create if they want to get
> all the sharing benefits...

I think we can manage to figure out enough locking stuff to let these
caches be shared.  The cost of rasterizing glyphs and sending them to the
server is pretty high, and we certainly don't want to do that any more
frequently than absolutely necessary.

However, all of that font stuff is X specific, and so requiring pthreads
(or other reasonable locking) for it to work efficiently doesn't seem a
strong limitation.

-keith