[cairo] PDF Backend for cairo

Ross McFarland rwmcfa1 at neces.com
Mon Nov 29 16:03:03 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 15:52, Carl Worth wrote:

> I think this seems quite reasonable, and will likely help out with some
> of the file size issues as well as slow performance and seams we've seen
> in some PDF viewers already.
>
> However, if we are going to rely on PDF tessellation, I want to make
> sure we understand it well enough to guarantee we get high-quality
> results.

i worry that by making idealogical requirements like this you're going
to fix the 0.5% case and hurt things 99.5% of the time. i don't think it
is cairo's job to fix postscript, pdf, and/or svg implementations. in
fact i can't imagine you'll be able to take care of all of the quirks.
even more you'll introduce lots of others (referring to the tessellated
alpha problems my pdf backend got stuck on.) i think it would be best to
output correct (best effort) ps/pdf/svg and leave it to the interpreters
to show it correctly.

--
-rm
http://www.neces.com/