[cairo] [patch] caching, glyph, font, and glyphset patch, round 2

graydon hoare graydon at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 08:50:48 PDT 2004

Keith Packard wrote:

> If most rendering is going to the screen, cairo can discard the actual
> pixel data after sending it to the X server which *does* share the images
> among multiple applications.  I'm pretty sure the current cache code
> doesn't do that yet.

no, but it's plausible. there are a couple ways to do it: either free
and null out the image field inside a image+metrics cache entry when you
upload it (and make the lookup function for the image+metrics cache
rebuild it on demand), or split the image+metrics cache into two
separate caches and flush the image entries. the latter approach is
probably a bit cleaner, but might use more memory. or might not. it's
hard to guess. both would work, anyways.

-graydon